Acidity, one of the most common ailment is caused due to excess production of acid by gastric glands in the stomach. Although, our stomach naturally produces gastric acid (or Hydrochloric acid – HCI), to help digest and break down food, but problem arises when there is excess production of these acids due to triggers like acidic foods, alcohol, dehydration and stress.
As per statistics, the occurrence of Heartburn in USA is higher than other westernized countries. According to sources, almost 15 million Americans suffer Heartburn daily (that accounts for 1 out of 18 Americans).
The reasons for Acid reflux may vary due to individual diet, their environment and stress level. We have compiled some of the major reasons of acidity:
- Diet: Type of food consumed (especially spicy or oily food items) and their timings affects the acid production in stomach. Food items rich in fiber causes overproduction of stomach acid as these foods take time to digest. Too much gap between meals also creates milieu for acidity.
- Alcohol: Consuming alcohol causes irritation in lining of stomach, leading to stomach acid production and digestive issues.
- Caffeine: Consuming excessive caffeine products like coffee, chocolate and soda induces production of gastric acid, hence leading to digestive issues too.
- Smoking: Apart from stomach irritation, smoking leads to excess acid production which retreats to the throat region and causes acid reflux.
- Stress: Taking too much stress (or chronic stress) also leads to acid production in the stomach.
Here are some natural tip from our Ayurvedic experts, which will help you relieve acidity naturally:
- Avoid following food items and habits:
- Caffeine products (like tea, coffee)
- Fatty and fried foods
- Drinking alcohol
- Avoid lying down immediately after eating. Also, have your food at least 2 to 3 hours before bedtime.
- Consume whole ripe banana (or over ripe) if acidity is extreme.
- Chewing tulsi leaves can give instant relief from acidity pain.
- Cold milk also works best when consumed without sugar. Add a spoon of ghee for fast relief.
- Chewing jeera seeds directly or drinking jeera boiled water might also work.
- Consuming elaichi (Cardamom), Pudina (mint leaves), ginger and amla directly provides instant relief.
Lifestyle changes can be combined with over-the-counter medications, to control the symptoms of acid reflux. For people who experience heartburn or indigestion frequently, Herbal supplements can also be used to reduce this acidity. The best part about these remedies are that these do not pose any side effects and moreover helps resolve discomfort naturally. You may consult with specialists at MatsyaVeda.com for further guidance.